Word Netzed n : the 26th letter of the Roman alphabet; "the British call Z zed and the Scots call it ezed but Americans call it zee"; "he doesn't know A from izzard" [syn: Z, zee, ezed, izzard]
- Rhymes: -ɛd
- (outside the US) The letter Z; the twenty-sixth and last letter of the English alphabet.
- zee (US)
- Italian: zeta
Zed () is the name of the last letter of the alphabet Z used by the majority of English-speaking people outside of the United States (where its name is "zee" (/ziː/)). The name "zed" is derived from the Greek letter zeta, which also represents the Z sound.
Zed can also refer to the following.
Music / Entertainment
- Zed (band), a pop-rock group from New Zealand.
- Zed (Zedrock, band), a UK-based classic metal band.
- ZED, a sludge/groove metal group from Philadelphia, PA, USA.
- ZeD, a Canadian show that aired original music, short films, animation, performance, visual art and spoken word pieces from around the world.
- David Zed, best known for his song "Robot".
- Chief Zed, Men in Black (film) supervisor (the agents' code names are letters).
- Zed, other spelling for Djed.
- "Zed" or "Zeds" is a fictional slang term for zombies.
- Zed, the character in the movie Zardoz played by Sean Connery - name specifically comes from the British name of this letter.
- Zed, a character in the video game Wild Arms for the Sony PlayStation.
- Zed is the name of the S&M-loving security guard in the popular movie Pulp Fiction, played by Peter Greene.
- Zed, the antagonist of the video game Zombie Revenge for the Sega Dreamcast and arcade.
- Zed is the main character of the anime series Kiba.
- Zed was the name of a robotic villain in the series SWAT Kats.
- Zed is for a character in a Miniclip game.
- Zed is a character in the Police Academy film series.
- Zed was a fictional robot in The Ed and Zed Show.
- Lord Zedd villain of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers.
- The Zeds, characters in the Dr. Seuss book One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish that have one hair growing on their heads.
- Zed, a shortening of name Zeddicus Zul Zorander from the fantasy series "Sword of Truth".
- Z (pronounced "Zed"), a computer real-time strategy game for DOS, Windows, Sega Saturn and PlayStation.
- LaNetro Zed or Zed, a company based in Spain and a popular content provider for mobile phones and the internet in Austria, China, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Malaysia, Mexico, Philippines, Spain, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom and United States.
- Zed, a now defunct annual design journal edited by Katie Salen that ran from 1995-2000.
- Zed card, a popular but erroneous name for a "portfolio on a card" used by models and actors, see comp card.
- Zed, Rajan, a Hindu chaplain and community activist based in Reno, NV, USA. He was selected as a guest chaplain for US Senate in 2007. His service was shown on national TV after protesters disrupted his invocation.
- The specification language Z.
- Zonal Employee Discount An airline industry employee discount, for travel on other airlines (other than their own) as a non-revenue standby passenger.
- Zed, a terminal text editor for UNIX.
- Z-Cars, a 1960s UK TV series.
- Zero Point Module, abbreviated ZPM, a fictional power source on the tv series Stargate Atlantis.
- Zed Industries, Inc., is a manufacturer of thermoforming, blister packaging, and skin packaging material. See zedindustries.com
zed in German: Zed
zed in Japanese: ゼット